UPDATE: a great video review of Four-Bit Characters from XPLovecat is here.
I am very pleased to announce the release of Four-Bit Characters for the Call of Cthulhu (7e) tabletop role-playing game, published through Chaosium’s Miskatonic Repository Community Content program.
This is a collection of 10 pre-generated characters based on real historical people.
Contents For the Classic 1920s:
- Sonia Greene Lovecraft – shopkeeper & writer who supports her struggling husband, the author H.P. Lovecraft
- Wilfrid Voynich – book dealer & linguist trying to decipher an arcane tome
- Bashford Dean – museum curator & armorer with access to millions of institutional dollars
- William “Pussyfoot” Johnson – federal agent & prohibitionist, so reviled by bootleggers they wrote hate songs about him
- Hiram Bingham III – professor & archeologist, famed for introducing Machu Picchu to Western tourists
- Mildred Mathias – researcher & botanist who drove thousands of miles with two girlfriends in a beat-up Ford for her thesis
For Pulp 1930s:
- Bessie Coleman – thrill-seeker & aviator, the first African-American woman and Native American to earn a pilot’s license
- Richard Halliburton – adventurer & author, famed for his daring travel exploits recounted in best-selling novels
For Gaslight 1890s:
- Ida Tarbell – investigative journalist & activist whose reporting destroyed the Standard Oil company
- Granville Woods – engineer & inventor with more than 60 patents and considered by some to be “The Black Edison”
Each character is extensively researched, hand-drawn based on existing photos, and appears on a new, gorgeously custom-made auto-calculating 7e sheet ready for printing (black and white) or digital use (color background).
PLUS: Extra images and text for each character from the public domain!
PLUS: six blank auto-calculating character sheets for Gaslight, Classic, and Pulp eras, in both a printable and digital format, ready for your input!
PLUS: an informative essay on the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918 and how it might affect your classic and pulp characters!
Art: Luis Miguez
Character sheet design and interactivity: Kirsten Hageleit
Research and writing: Aaron Vanek